Monday, January 19, 2009

Best of the holiday hiccups

It is inevitable that over the holiday season, we indulge. I did my fair share of alcohol consumption -enough to make a very, very long blog post. I have decided, however, to pick the absolute best wine I drank over the last few weeks and share my appreciation.


Best Red
The wine farm, Boschkloof, is situated in Stellenbosch, one of South Africa's foremost red wine producing regions. The family owned farm along with their exceptionally talented wine-maker, Jacques Borman, have chosen to produce a limited quantity of superior quality wines that could easily be classed within the echelons of fine wine.

Their Syrah is fairly renown in local circles but I have not yet been lucky enough to try it although it is on my wine-to-taste list. I was however, lucky enough to sample Boschkloof's Conclusion, suggested to a friend by Mr. Borman himself and it did not disappoint! This blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot and Shiraz, carefully matured in French oak for 2 years is a truly outstanding wine. It has a perfectly balanced chocolate and vanilla approach with a soft fruit overture that lingers pleasantly.

The black label with the gold embossed Grail and the inscription "inconcessum persequor" -I pursue the unattainable- hugging the wine bottle is almost just as striking as the wine itself. When gazing at the label, whether you think about the legendary cup used at the last supper, medieval legends like those of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table or the adventure and immortality sought by Indiana Jones in his last crusade, you can't helping thinking about one quest or another. Perhaps Boschkloof's quest is to endlessly pursue wine perfection?

For those of you who don't know me, you need to know that Champagne is my baby. I love it. It is my favourite thing. Ooooh, the bubbles..... That said, I am always on the hunt for Champagne I have never tried. Over the festive season, I found one (or I should say, it found me).


Best Bubbly
High Constantia is located in the fertile Constantia wine valley and although it is one of the smallest producing wine farms in the area, it has a very large following especially for its champers and Cabernet Franc.

Clos André bubbly is produced using the old French traditional method called remuage (or riddling) where new bottles of Champagne are placed at a 45º downward angle and turned a one quarter turn every day for 2 months. This ensures that the lees, or sediment, can settle near the cork and then be manually disgorged. The Champagne is also presented in an elegant, French-styled bottle with the classic old-style label.

Clos André is exceptionally dry, so it is not for the sweet tooth. It has a full-bodied, mature yeasty personality that is satiny smooth while textured with lively bubbles. It is a rewarding experience to taste the patience and time it took to produce such a fine beverage. It is a must try for the Champagne connoisseur.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

OH NOES! Splited infinitives are burnzing my brainz!

twanji said...

I do believe that we need to mark the beginning of the year with a wine route excursion... hmmm. What say you?
When is your book on wines coming out - you just nailed a chapter pretty well :)