Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Lusting barefoot with Cape maidens

For those of you who suffer from OCD (or elements thereof) as I do, you will hate this post! I tend to remove wine labels soon after enjoying the wine and in the morning I often find that my handy work is... less than precise. Hey, at least the labels aren't torn.


This lovely, easy-drinking and fairly cheap chardonnay is alive with apple and lime aromas. In fine Cape wine tradition, it's a crisp and charming wine, worth a try when you feel like enjoying something light and tangy.

The labels for Juno Wines are fantastic. The winemakers take their inspiration from ancient mythology. The Roman goddess, Juno was the patron goddess of Rome and the protector of women, marriage and fertility. She was also the wife of Jupiter (Zeus in Greek mythology), making her queen of all gods.

According to the label artist, Tertia du Toit, the Juno Cape Maidens wine labels "...create an integrated visual meeting between the predominantly male winemaking traditions and the sensual nature of the wine itself.” Bold women and striking colours adorn the bottles enticing anyone to indulge in the ancient tradition of drinking wine. Bacchus would be proud.

Have a look at some of their other wine labels here.



Sauvignon is from the French word 'sauvage' meaning 'savage'. It has always referred to wines that are strong, intense and almost wild. Many of my friends have used other words to describe Sauvignon blanc in the past including: smokey; grassy; heartburn stuff; yuk and my personal favourite, cat pee. I tend to agree and am not a fan of the cultivar.

Barefoot is an inexpensive Sauvignon Blanc - even if you are sitting in California. This label was brought back from the States by my mother who visited there recently. She claims that the wine is pleasant, light and crisp and worth the few dollars she paid for it. Nothing like cat pee.

I love the label. It makes me want to enjoy the wine on a remote beach somewhere. And strangely enough, the winemakers are very much involved in something called the Beach Rescue Project.



My Sunday night drinking friend brought this bottle of wine to dinner last weekend saying that it would 1) be a great bottle to drink and 2) be a nice label for my blog because anything with LUST on it, must be a winner. He was right.

The wine is spicy and rich with berry overtones. As a date, it's easy to open (screw top) and at around R65 per bottle, it makes for a fairly cheap date that satisfies every time.

Go for it!


For those of you who don't know, the wine farm Vrede en Lust is located in Paarl and derived its name from the Dutch meaning "peace and eagerness."

5 comments:

twanji said...

And they said I was the drunk?
He he - glad you're back online.
The only thing that's official these days - other than my blog - is that I am officially missing you!
Hope to see you on Friday!

Unknown said...

Awesome post! Interesting about sauvignon - I always wondered about that. We drank some fantastic reds in front of my fireplace last night - look out for those labels as well as the one from the gross Big Yellow Cab very soon!

eves said...

Juno wines are really good actually, had some in Paternoster earlier this year. I like the whole retro vibe that they have going with their labels. And the rusty old-looking signs that use are also cool.

Trundling Grunt said...

Now how do you get the labels off again? Buggered if I could work out how to do it.

Wendy said...

Trundling Grunt: The most effective way to remove the labels for me is to put boiling water in the bottle and allow to stand for a minute or two. The label usually peels right off with no problem. You can also soak or steam it off but it's a pain.