Monday, September 15, 2008

What I want most

More than a decade ago I was privileged enough to taste and fall in love with that sweet, precious nectar that is: Le Petit Liquorelle Petillante. This special 200ml drop bottle of rich amber champagne liqueur was first made by Moet and Chandon in the 1980's. It's composition is a guarded secret but apparently it's a clever blend and fermentation of champagne and brandy. After a process that takes many years, a delectable and ever-so-slightly-bubbly liqueur is produced.


To my horror and disgust, this wonderful drink was discontinued in the mid 1990's and I have been without ever since. I have often kept track of the sale of a lonely bottle here and there on eBay and recently found 9 bottles for sale from a reputable cellar in Spain - way out of reach and price range! Each bottle is priced at a mere 16 Euros, which is more than affordable. The postage per bottle to South Africa, however, is 32 Euros which puts the cost per bottle at around R600. I found these precious bottles a few days ago and have been dreaming about that taste (I can remember it as if I had a sip yesterday) ever since. The only thing keeping me from purchasing a bottle or two or three is a short mantra: "I have rent to pay, I have rent to pay, I have rent to pay."

If you are ever lucky enough to find, buy and enjoy one of these rare treasures of bottled poetry, be sure to have one small sip in honour of those who will never taste that sweet, decadent pleasure and to those who might never taste it again.

6 comments:

Thania said...

Like you, my husband and I absolutely loved this little gem and spent many a happy evening enjoying a bottle. After many less successful (but enjoyable none-the-less) attempts at recreating the taste, we decided that the following recipe matches it as closely as possible (as far as we can remember). Mix equal parts Backsberg Pinneau and a very brut sparkling wine or champagne (Moet if you want to keep it authentic). It might not be the real thing but is always a hit with those in the know. Cheers!

Daniel said...

Wendy,
I have one bottle of the 200ml Moet & Chandon Petite Liqueur that I was going to put on eBay.

I found your post while researching it.

It was given to me by my aunt who said it was something My Uncle Loved.

I don't drink and have no use for it (and I was never a Liquor Person) so if you would like to make an offer you can email me.

DanielinNJ@Yahoo.com

The Smelly Alley Fish Company said...

I have a glass wine cooler with PL P engraved on it!

Matt Marcus said...

I have a client who has a 200 mL bottle of this petite liqueur. We are located in Florida, USA. If anyone wants to buy it they can e-mail me at matt.marcus@estate-group.com. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,

I also have a 200ml Moet & Chandon Petite Liqueur that I am considering putting on ebay.

If you or anyone else is interested in making me an offer, feel free to email me.

I am located in Melbourne, Australia.

alexi__@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I was given a bottle of this for my 21st birthday (22 years ago now). I still have it in the fridge, unopened. My dilemma now is do I offer it on eBay or do I simply crack the bottle open and see what the fuss is about lol. Oh decisions, decisions! I do not even know whether the contents will still be ok to drink...does it go bad?