Saturday, September 20, 2008

Monkeys by starlight

Apparently, Merlot is America's favourite wine and therefore, its bestseller. It is very popular on my side of the world, too. I love a Merlot when it's fruity and full-bodied. The Night Harvest range is just that: full of fruity flavours including cherry, raspberry and strawberry. The wine also has a oak and coffee undertone making it a well rounded wine that can be enjoyed with almost anything.


The interesting thing about the production of this wine is that the grapes that produce it are, in fact, harvested at night. The brothers who started the winery have been harvesting their grapes by starlight for over 25 years. I have no idea if it actually influences the taste of the wine in any way but it's rather innovative and romantic, don't you think?

EOH sent me this label ages ago after a fun night he had with a few friends. I hope it was as tasty as the reviews say it is!



I love this label! It fits in very nicely with my academic field and shows that you really can put absolutely anything on a wine label.

For those of you who don't know, baboons are African Old World monkeys belonging to the genus Papio, part of the subfamily Cercopithecinae. These baboons are the largest non-hominid members of the primate order and include for example, the Chacma baboon - the buggers who steal your sandwiches at Cape Point!

As for the wine, this Chardonnay is all about the fruit. It's crisp with an in-your-face citrus blast. Yum!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Those were a lot of fun. The Chardonnay was particularly refreshing.

Karen Little said...

I remember when I was just in the embryonic stages of vinophilia, I was quite a fan of the Merlot. I tend to prefer other varietals now, though.

That label's very cute :)

eves said...

i just watched sideways, and the lead character kept on going on about pinot noir, no naturally i assumed it was the most popular wine... so i checked wikipedia out, and while merlot is the most popular, "following the film's u.s. release in october 2004, merlot sales dropped 2% while pinot noir sales increased 16% in the western u.s."

typical...